Thursday 14 June 2012

'666' leg training from hell

So here’s my 666 legs workout I performed the other night, it was tough and certainly suits its name – leg training from hell. I felt great throughout the workout, my heart was racing, I was pumped and I was lifting some fairly heavy poundages (by my standard). The following day however was a struggle! Walking up or down any stairs was a challenge and I’m still feeling it now, but like they say “NO PAIN NO GAIN!” Before I show you the workout let me just touch on what 666 training actually is, if you don’t already know.
Its basically 6 sets of 6 reps in 6 minutes. The reason its become one of my favourite training protocols is because it hits a lot of goals in one. For example, you’re working with 6 reps which is the higher end of the strength training rep range and the lower end of hypertrophy training. 6 sets is a substantial amount of volume to place stress on the targeted muscles and give a good training effect. Lastly the pace of the workout gets your heart rate up and keeps it up, giving a cardio element to the session as well. It works really well for most body parts, but I wouldn’t use it for longer than 4-6 weeks.
Now you have a basic understanding behind the 666 protocol here was my leg workout:
exercise
sets
reps
time
Smith machine front squat
6
6
6 mins
Dumbbell Bulgarian split squat
6
6
12 mins (double time as your working uni- laterally)
Seated leg curl
6
6
6 mins
Standing machine calf raise
6
6
6 mins


On a final note here are some tips if you’re brave enough to try out the 666 training protocol:
·         Be a clock hawk – watch the time, don’t let each exercise last longer than 6 minutes. As a guide 45 seconds rest between each set should get it done In time
·         Use the same weight throughout all 6 sets for that particular exercise
·         No more than 2-3 exercises per muscle group

No comments:

Post a Comment