Sunday 21 December 2014

Intra-workout fuel recipe

I've been asked a few times in the last week... "Breckell, what's that green slime you're drinking during your workout?" Well, it's my top secret, special intra-workout rocket fuel mix that allows me to push past any plateau that gets in my way! 

Just kidding! 

You'll probably notice around your gym more and more people are starting to drink some sort of coloured water during their workout. Many brands are making their own intra-workout products, but be warned some ingredients they may contain might just be wasting your time and money. That's why I make my own, this is what it includes...



10-15g apple BCAA's
BCAA's can prevent catobilism. They also compete with the amino acid tryptophan, a precursor to the calming neurotransmitter - serotonin. Who wants to feel "calm" during a workout? You want to be altert and ready to give it everything. I like apple, but you can go for whatever flavour you fancy.

Electrolytes
You're a wet, moving organism. If your tissues are dehydrated they will dry up like tinder for a campfire, become sticky and prevent your body from moving in optimal range. With dehydration comes a decrease in work capacity by up to 30%. Prevent this from happening by spiking your intra-workout drink with electrolytes. 

That's it. Simple, yet effective. No BS included. 

No comments:

Post a Comment